Topic: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Replies: 19   Last Post: Jan 30, 2013 5:05 AM

David Bernier

Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?

On 01/04/2013 12:01 AM, JT wrote:
> Does the RSA challenges have a given time complexity of factoring the
> primeproduct, or did they have one that changed during resent years?

The RSA challenge numbers are still available somewhere.
The contests for prize money has been discontinued.

I think many remain unfactored, as far as the general
public knows, i.e. outside cryptologic agencies and
government cipher schools.

They would deliberately choose n = p*q, p, q odd primes
with the digit length of p and q being about half that
of the composite number `n'. Other criteria were involved
to exclude the existence of so-called weak prime factors,
meaning those where a kown deterministic algorithm could do
a lot better than average, roughly speaking.

512-bit composites are now old hat. 512+256 = 768.
768-bit composites aren't exactly old hat, but for some
applications, private RSA keys should last 5 years or more,
preferably against millionaire or billionaire enemies.

AFAIK, 2048-bit composites are deemed to be secure
against lots of folk for a dozen years or more, something
like that.

I don't see many <= 1024-bit public keys in SSL
certificates ...

dave

Date Subject Author
1/4/13
Read Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
David Bernier
1/8/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Michael Stemper
1/8/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Pubkeybreaker
1/10/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Phil Carmody
1/10/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Pubkeybreaker
1/10/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Richard Tobin
1/11/13
[...]
amzoti
1/4/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Pubkeybreaker
1/4/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
amzoti
1/10/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Graham Cooper
1/11/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
David Bernier
1/30/13
Read Re: Is factorization of big primeproducts a solved problem YET?
Rosario1903