Topic: FWIW: interesting quote from Ted Kaczynski
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 6:06 PM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: FWIW: interesting quote from Ted Kaczynski

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Monday, January 7, 2013 3:58:58 PM UTC-8, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>> david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> > "Meanwhile, I was doing well in mathematics. It was fun to solve
>> > mathematical problems, but in a deeper sense mathematics was boring
>> > and empty because for me it had no purpose. If I had worked on applied
>> > mathematics I would have contributed to the development of the
>> > technological society that I hated, so I worked only on pure
>> > mathematics. But pure mathematics was only a game. I did not
>> > understand then, and I still do not understand, why mathematicians are
>> > content to fritter away their whole lives in a mere game. I myself was
>> > completely dissatisfied with such a life."

>> > Ted Kaczynski, from a letter to a Turkish anarchist named Kara
>

>> Well, to each his own, right?
>

> Not really. Certainly pure mathematicians can play their games in a place where it is appropriate to play games.
>
> If we accept falsifiability as part of the underlying logic of
> mathematics, then mathematics is definitely not merely a game; it is a
> science, and it has a vitally important role to play in our
> technologically advanced society. I wanted to study the foundations
> of mathematics from that point of view. It appears that the pure
> mathematicians don't think I should be studying that while I'm in the
> universities they control. So, I must say that I think those pure
> mathematicians don't belong in the publicly funded universities of a
> free society.

Does it bother you that you're criticizing the behavior of
mathematicians while approvingly quoting a mad bomber?

In any case, I don't know that mathematicians are trying to stop you
from researching math in the manner you like. Oh, if you want a degree
in math, then you'll have to show that you've mastered the topics of
mathematics and this includes a familiarity with classical set theory.
Sorry, just the way it goes. Just like the creationist biologist is
likely to be required to know a bit about evolutionary theory in order
to get a degree.

But do whatever research you want.

And leave others to do the same.

--
"You can do 'math' until you drop dead, but if you're wrong, you're
still wrong, and the world will keep on turning regardless. Heaven