Topic: Vertical Scrollbars Unresponsive in Pane
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 11:40 PM

Gregory Lypny

Re: Vertical Scrollbars Unresponsive in Pane

Hello Murray,

Thank you for replying. I am using version 8.04 under Mac OS X 10.8.2.
After reading your post, I played around with the image size of the pane
and found that the vertical scroll will work as long the height of the
image is at least 500 (it was originally 100), which means that 18 of
the 244 rows of the array are displayed.

This is something that Wolfram may want to improve because the reason
for using a pane is to display a modest amount of the data but still be
able to browse all of it by scrolling. If I chop the array down to only
36 rows, I should be able to create a pane that displays four or five of
the rows and scrolls vertically, but I cannot. To get the vertical
scroll to work, I have to set the image height to at least 210, which
displays seven rows or almost 20 per cent of the number of rows in the
array. I'm guessing that Wolfram made the area of the hotspot (where
the location of the mouse is detected) on the thumb scroll too small
relative to the total area of the thumb scroll itself. Maybe the area
of the hotspot scales up with that of the thumb scroll as the image
height is increased. That's why the image size has to be increased (by
trial and error) to make the vertical scroll functional. In RAD
languages like LiveCode, a vertically-scrolling field containing 244
rows of data can be set to display only three rows (admittedly
impractical, but that's not the point) but still scroll fine.

Gregory