Topic: How to detect when a output argument was marked unused with ~(tilde)?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Oct 21, 2013 2:00 PM

Bruno Luong

Re: How to detect when a output argument was marked unused with ~(tilde)?

"Max Brega" wrote in message <kcpn88$54u$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hello,
> we have recently seen the introduction of the new syntax to ignore some outputs of a function, i.e. [a,~,c]=function(arg1,arg2,arg3) will ignore the second output and just store the other two outputs in 'a' and 'c'.
> I am writing a function in which calculating one output takes a lot of time, and if the user has called that function marking with ~ a certain output variable, it is pretty silly to spend a lot of execution time to compute something that will be certainly discarded.
> So my question is:
> is there a way to check from inside the function, whether or not a certain output variable was marked "unused" with ~ ?

Why not reorder the output by priority order, then use nargout to check how many output arguments are requested.