Topic: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jan 16, 2013 11:14 PM

Vince Virgilio

Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries

I think we need a visual guide for the various size-like options, across the commands that take them. One page of the visual guide for each kind of usage; all the better if a single page will do. If it was given enough weight at WRI, it could serve as a sanity check for new plot commands.

Vince

On Monday, January 14, 2013 11:27:36 PM UTC-5, James Stein wrote:
> Vince:
>

> I agree with your comments and suggestions.
>
> However, the situation is worse that you suggest.
>
> The interactions between ImageSize, FrameSize and their associated
>
> implicit paddings is incompletely documented,
>
> and is documented as if the documented behavior is independent of the
>
> kind of Graphics involved, which is is not.
>

> By coincidence, I reported this problem here on the MathGroup just a
>
> few days ago, showing that 'Frame' acts differently upon ListPlot and
>
> DateListPlot:
>

> Clear[f, i3, g, d3];
>
> d3 = {{{2012, 1, 1}, 1}, {{2012, 2, 1}, 2}, {{2012, 3, 1}, 3}};
>
> i3 = d3[[All, 2]];
>
> Print["d3=", d3 // MatrixForm, " i3=", i3];
>
> f[b_] := ListPlot[i3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
>
> g[b_] := DateListPlot[d3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
>
> {{f[True], f[False]}, {g[True], g[False]}}
>

> Three of the four results are the same size; the lower right result is
>
> smaller than the others:
>
> It seems that applying a Frame, or not, does not change the size of a
>
> plot produced by ListPlot, but does change the size of a plot produced
>
> by DateListPlot.
>

> I seek an explanation for this behavior.
>

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Vince Virgilio wrote:
>

> > On Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:51:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce Shore wrote:
>
> >> I would like to align, within GraphicsColumn, two or more plots on the=
ir

> >> frame boundaries, using Mathematica 7. Back in Jan 2008 this question
>

> >> was raised by Szabolcs Horv=E1t, so maybe it is answered, but I do =
not

> >> find the answer in the archives, only the question.
>

> >> My question is the same as his: I have two or more plots, with differe=
nt

> >> aspect ratios or with different labels, so the images are not the same
>

> >> size. I want to align the left and right right sides of the frames in =
>

> >> GraphicsColumn. I use ImagePadding but this is very clumsy and has to =
be

> >> redone for every set of frames. Mathematica uses, for all its sizings,
>

> >> the complete outline of the figure, with labels and so on, not just th=
>

> >> frame. For publications the frames have to be aligned.
>

> > [cut]
>

> > This has always been awkward to do. Though the ImagePadding approach ma=
y suffice for many cases, it works at the wrong level of abstraction.

> > WRI should consider a new Alignment option value of "Axes", "Frame", or=
"PlotRegion" in the Column and Grid family of commands.