Grade?

Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 9:16 PM

Ed Wall

Re: [math-learn] Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th Grade?
att1.html (17.0 K)

Okay

Let me make a 'controversial' statement and then ask a question.

What if I said something "We Learn All the Math We Need For Learning Mathematics Beyond Sixth Grade During and Before 6th Grade." It seems to me that if ordinary life beyond 6th grade is relatively math free for many a particular person - say Joe - then Joe has indeed learned, most likely, all the mathematics he needs for the ordinary life. However, if - say Susie - plans on doing a bit of physics that requires a bit of calculus then Susie has some math learning to do after 6th and that math learning has, in some reasonably consequential fashion, some critical groundings in grades 6th and prior.

Okay, here is my question. Forgetting about the silly math wars and sillier politics, and assuming that indeed those sixth years are somewhat critical, why do we as mathematics educators - I'm talking about the research community and us higher education types - focus so much our attention on the secondary years? If I was building a fourteen story highrise and skimped on the first six floors, things would be problematic indeed. Is it because we think secondary teachers can fix students who struggle through those six years? Is it because we don't really care and it is survival of the 'fittest'? Is it because we have, in a sense, dumbed down the elementary school mathematics education curriculum to the extent that elementary school teachers, in their collegiate years, come away unsure and ill prepared and we, in effectively a vicious cycle, write them off?

Ed Wall