Topic: expectated value
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 15, 2013 9:44 PM

maryam

Re: expectated value

"Torsten" wrote in message <kd3rgg$d1h$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "maryam" wrote in message <kd3p99$3qu$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> > > Apply the definition of expected value?
> > >
> > > when you are not sure how to do something, always look up
> > > the definition and go from there.
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value
> > >
> > > If you have problem with implementing the defintion, then show
> > > what you tried and where you are having problem.
> > >
> > > good luck,
> > >
> > > --Nasser

> > --------------------
> > I know the the definition of expected value but I cant implement it.
> > assume a 1-by-n arbitrary matrix, what's its matlab code?
> > thanks

> A row of numbers does not have an expected value.
> What you probably mean is an estimator for the expected value
> of the random variable which produced the row of numbers.
> Usually one takes
> mean(A,2)
> for this where A is your 1xn - matrix.
>
> Best wishes
> Torsten.

Dear Torsten
thanks your reply
In the part of my thesis I obtain a vector of random variables that is I=1xn - matrix.
then I must to calculate "contrast (I)" , the definition of contrast is contrast(x)=E(x^2)/(E(x))^2
and E(.) denoted the expectation operator.
how could I calculate contrast (I)?
thank you very much