Topic: Saving mov in v9
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 21, 2013 12:07 AM

Louis Talman

Re: Saving mov in v9

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:15:33 -0700, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas@me.com>
wrote:

> In Mathematica 8, I could create a movie by printing a set of plots,
> selecting them, and using Save Selection As from the File menu. I would
> then get a window where I set frame rate, colors etc. In Mathematica 9,
> I can still use Save Selection As mov, but I don't get to choose any
> setting, and while a movie file is created, its size is zero KB.
>
> Is this functionality gone in v9 or just broken?
>
> Themis

I don't know whether it's gone or not. (In fact, I never knew it was
there!)

Pay the $30 or $40 to Apple to upgrade QuickTime to QuickTime Pro, or, if
you use a Mac, get Graphic Converter from LemkeSoft. Then, in Mathematica,
generate your frames as before and use Export to write them as .PNG or
.GIF files. Be careful to give them serial names: Frame001.png,
Frame002.png, etc. (Do not forget to pad the numerals on the left with
zeros, or you'll get something you didn't expect!) Then use QuickTime Pro
or Graphic Converter (historically better) to make your .MOV

See my website at <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/%7Etalmanl/MathAnim.html>
for some animations produced in this way.

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver
<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/%7Etalmanl>