Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 18, 2013 10:01 PM (in response to Richard Strausz's post of Jan 18, 2013, at 6:39 AM - (copy of which is pasted below my signature for ready reference - the original is at: http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2429939 ):

> This is a good activity, how did they do?
>
> Bob Hansen

I'm delighed that RH has pronounced it to be a "good activity". That is a remarkable descriptor indeed to apply to an activity promoted by the 'National Council of Teachers in Mathematics' - which any 'mathematically correct' person would know, is a prime habitat for members of that infamous 'Education Mafia' (EM) of Haim's.

Here, as evidence, is a link to the page on the NCTM website that provides information about their 'Mission', 'Vision' and 'Foundational Priorities', which is useful reading for me and which should make for FASCINATING reading indeed for RH (and Haim):

http://www.nctm.org/about/content.aspx?ID=172

I STRONGLY urge all to carefully study the whole of the above page. Here below, for interest, a couple of very brief extracts:

Vision Statement:
===
"The NCTM is the global leader and foremost authority in mathematics education, ensuring that ALL students have access to the highest quality mathematics teaching and learning. We envision a world where everyone is enthused about mathematics, sees the value and beauty of mathematics, and is empowered by the opportunities mathematics affords".
(CAPS are mine, i.e., GSC's)

Mission Statement:
===
"The NCTM is the public voice of mathematics education, supporting teachers to ensure EQUITABLE mathematics learning of the highest quality for ALL students through vision, leadership, professional development, and research".
(CAPS are mine, i.e., GSC's)

Foundational Priorities
===
- -- Access and EQUITY
- -- ADVOCACY
- -- Curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- -- Professional Development
- -- RESEARCH: Ensure that sound research is integrated into all activities of the (NCTM)
(CAPS are mine, i.e., GSC's)

Postscript (not a PS) to Richard Strausz:
Once again, Richard, many thanks for showing us this MOST 'enjoyable post', though it turned out to have been from a part of the EM, and not (directly) from Dan Meyer!

(It was VERY astute indeed. I must say you have taught me, though rather indirectly, a very good lesson. I do hope I shall be wise enough to learn something from it).

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")