Topic: How to avoid wrong answers in simple arithmetic expressions.
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 7:18 AM

S.K.Mody

Re: How to avoid wrong answers in simple arithmetic expressions.

"Bruno Luong" <b.luong@fogale.findmycountry> wrote in message <kdghtg$2gl$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> OK if you don't like negative power I give you an example of positive power that contradict what you said:
> [The IEEE 754 format description on Wikipedia was a bit confusing - all those negative powers of 2! It really boils down to - if a number can be represented as a sum of powers of 2]
>
> Which is wrong statement. Why, because:
>
> 2^100 can be represents by IEEE
> (2^100 + 1) cannot.
>
> Both are sum of power of 2.
>
> Bruno

All right, suppose I say all integers between -2^52 and 2^52 can be represented exactly - I did say "within some range" without specifying what that range was. But I get your point, which I presume is that - not all integers from realmin to realmax can be exactly represented - a fact that can easily be forgotten in haste.

Best Regards.