Topic: Chaos Theory Question
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 23, 2013 11:25 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Chaos Theory Question

Ludovicus wrote:

> El sábado, 19 de enero de 2013 08:19:39 UTC-4:30, Bob escribió:

> > Hello,
> >

> > Have started reading about Chaos theory.
> >
> > Sure is a very interesting concept.
> >

> > I would like to ask this question, please, for anyone who understands
> >
> > Chaos theory:
> >

> > Is it a requirement for a system to become (at some point), or exhibit,
> >
> > chaotic behavior for there to be "feedback" ?
> >

> > If so, positive, negative, either ?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

> Yes.
> A sort of feedback.
> Example. The primes are chaotic because they are built by an algorithm determinist but its development is imprevisible.
> Its construction by the Eratosthenes Sieve is based in a sort of feedback
> because the produced primes affects the next primes to be produced.
> Ludovicus

I have a few questions about this question:

(1) What is chaos in the mathematical sense?
(2) What is a system (in the OP's sense)?
(3) Supposing that Q2 has a satisfactory answer, what does it mean for
(such a) system to have feedback?

I know nothing about the matter, but it seems to me that one can have
chaos (in the mathematical sense) in contexts where 'feedback' has no
meaning.

Also, (4) _are_ the primes chaotic in the OP's sense?

[Yes, I could answer Q1 by looking it up, so take the Q to be... um...
"Socratic", if that doesn't sound too pretentious.]