Topic: Solid State Disk to boost Mathematica performance
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 22, 2013 2:40 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: Solid State Disk to boost Mathematica performance

On 1/20/13 at 1:21 AM, eMartinSerrano@telefonica.net (E.
Mart=C3=ADn-Serrano) wrote:

>I am thinking of installing a 256 GB Solid State Disk (SSD) on my
>machine to increase its performance.

>Anyway, the true actual candidates to reside in the SSD are Windows
>8 and Mathematica, but I wonder whether it is going to really boost
>the performance of Mathematica considering that the machine already
>has 12 GB of RAM.

Likely replacing your hard drive with a SSD will have no effect
on the performance of Mathematica. Where it should improve
performance is cases where Mathematica needs to read/write data
to the hard drive/SSD. I would guess for most of what you do
Mathematica performance it bound by CPU and memory rather than I/O.

Also, you should pay attention to other parts of your system.
For example, you cannot take advantage of the greater though put
of a SSD that supports transfer rates of 6Gb/s if your system
bus is limited to transfer rates of say 3Gb/s.