Topic: Solid State Disk to boost Mathematica performance
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 22, 2013 2:40 AM

David Bailey

Re: Solid State Disk to boost Mathematica performance

On 20/01/2013 06:25, E. Mart=EDn-Serrano wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of installing a 256 GB Solid State Disk (SSD) on my machine to
> increase its performance.
>
> The current configuration of my machine is: 4 cores (8 threads), 3,4 GHz;
> with 12 GB DD3-RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 400 (3 GB integrated RAM) and 4TB
> Internal HD. It is not a small machine, I think.
>
> The Solid State Disk (SSD) would hold the operating system (Windows 8) and
> Mathematica (currently v8); plus some half a dozen of other "mission
> critical" programs.
>
> Anyway, the true actual candidates to reside in the SSD are Windows 8 and
> Mathematica, but I wonder whether it is going to really boost the
> performance of Mathematica considering that the machine already has 12GB of
> RAM.
>
> But I do not know how Mathematica deals with the kernel and the fronted
> (their interaction), in other words, whether the kernel uses de internal HD
> to interact with the kernel and vice versa.
>
> I use intensively and extensively dynamics constructs, and in many occasions
> the dynamic refreshing uses Solve, NSolve and, in occasions NDSolve and
> DSolve, within the second parameter to Dynamic. In any case, with or without
> solving (always small) systems of equations, moving graphical objects tied
> to dynamic locators remains an unsolvable issue to me.
>
> In summary, my question is whether the SSD holding windows and Mathematica
> would bust in any form Mathematica's performance.

I think an obvious test, would be to look how much your disk light comes
on with your current system when it is processing your large problems.

You don't say whether you are using the 64-bit version of W8. If you are
not, you should switch to that. Mathematica will then need to be
re-installed (because the installation disk actually contains both the
32-bit and 64-bit code, selected according to the OS), but nothing else
would be required. Indeed your 12 GB will not be contributing much more
than 4 GB would without the 64-bit OS.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk