Topic: PARI/gp wins my Riemann zeta speed contest, so far
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 15, 2013 10:43 PM

James Waldby

Re: PARI/gp wins my Riemann zeta speed contest, so far

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:56:20 -0500, David Bernier wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 12:52 AM, David Bernier wrote:
>>> [big snip]

>>> I assume you use a Linux x86_64 operating system; what
>>> distribution is it? Did you install PARI-gp from a package,
>>> or compile it? PARI-gp as packaged with Ubuntu uses readline
>>> automatically. However, it is up-arrow rather than backspace
>>> that moves through previous queries. Library files include
>>> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6 and
>>> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6.2 .
>>>

>> I downloaded a tar-ball, and did the install on CentOS 6.3,
>> a Red Hat Ent. Linux clone, minus branding.
>>
>> I remember "loadable modules", that can be arranged
>> with ldconfig and the *so* "loadable modules" or
>> "plugins" directories and files.
>>
>> CentOS 6.3 , 64-bit version.
>> I installed from source.
>> intro. message:
>> $ gp
>> GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.5.3 (released)
>> amd64 running linux (x86-64/GMP-5.0.5 kernel) 64-bit version
>> compiled: Dec 27 2012, gcc-4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4) (GCC)
>> (readline not compiled in, extended help enabled)
>>
>> Up-Key doesn't work.

> Many web recommendations include doing this as root:
> # yum install readline-devel

Yes, the reason I mentioned the readline library filenames was
so you could see if you have readline installed. Eg, via
locate libreadline.so or via find /lib -name 'libreadline*'
which on my system both show /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6
and /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6.2 .

Also, after installing readline, see if yum install pari-devel
or yum update pari-devel will work. But if you are compiling
pari-gp from source, you need to have readline installed before
you do the ./configure step. Since your gp shows "readline not
compiled in", readline might have not been installed when you
said ./configure. Perhaps look at the dates on your gp executable,
the pari-gp make file, and your libreadline.so files, via ls -l.
Notes, the dates could look ok, but if no ldconfig occurred the
library cache wouldn't have been updated. I'd expect make files
for library routines to run ldconfig, however, so that's unlikely.

--
jiw