Topic: ZFC and God
Replies: 45   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 3:47 AM

David Bernier

Re: ZFC and God

On 01/23/2013 08:36 AM, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> WM<mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

>>> http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/284328/how-to-distinguish-bet...
>>>
>>> No. It's irrelevant.

>> You are in error.

>>> We're talking about whether you can prove that
>>>
>>> U_n=1^oo {1,...,n}
>>>
>>> is finite. I'm not switching topics to paths in trees (despite the
>>> fact that the ignorance of your question is obvious).

>> The union of FISs is finite. Yes that is my claim. But I cannot give
>> an upper limit, because the finite numbers have no upper limit. This
>> is called potentially infinite.

>>> You're playing your usual little game of trying to change the topic.
>>> I won't have it.
>>>
>>> I take it that this new tack is so that you don't have to concede the
>>> point: there is no mathematical publication which claims that the
>>> above union contains elements larger than any natural, nor any
>>> publication which claims that this is what it means to be infinite.

>> I know. But if you hace read the discussion, you have seen that two
>> matheologians claim just this. Why do they? Because they cannot answer
>> the question: What paths are (as subsets of the set of nodes) in a
>> Binary Tree that is the union of all its levels? Are there only the
>> finite paths? Or are there also the infinite paths?
>> Try to answer it, and you will see that you need the omegath level or
>> must confess that it is impossible to distinguish both cases. Hence,
>> Cantor's argument applies simultaneously to both or to none.

> I'm not interested in the web-published claims of two individuals on a
> different topic than we're discussing.
>
> Once again, let me remind you what you claimed. You claimed ZF was
> inconsistent, and in particular that ZF proves that the union
>
> U_n {1,...,n}
>
> is both finite and infinite.
>
> Now, we've had two competing definitions of infinite in this
> particular discussion.
>
> (1) A set S is infinite if there is no natural n such that |S| = n.
>
> (2) A set S is infinite if it contains a number greater than every
> natural n.
>
> The first definition is what mathematicians almost always mean, and
> they *never* mean the second, but this is mere semantics. Let's talk
> results.
>
> We both agree that, using definition (1), the above union is infinite
> and (I think) we agree that we cannot show it is finite (=not
> infinite). If I'm mistaken on this point, then please show me.
>
> On the other hand we both agree that, per definition (2), the union is
> "finite", but I have seen no contradiction result, since you have not
> shown that the union is "infinite" in this sense. Nor can you find a
> single publication in which a mathematician has claimed the union
> above (i.e., the set N of natural numbers) contains an element larger
> than every natural.
>
> So, let's not get distracted by paths and whatsits. Just do what you
> [...]

I love logical "theological" debate from you. Anyway, it's no use
ex-communicating WM, right? Better face the "heretics" head-on
with logic!

David Bernier

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID

Date Subject Author
1/21/13
Read ZFC and God
Zaljohar@gmail.com