Topic: Distingusih between rem and mod
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 22, 2013 7:39 AM

Alan Weiss

Re: Distingusih between rem and mod

On 1/22/2013 2:33 AM, Aung Kaung Myat wrote:
> I am a Matlab beginner and I want to know clearly between the usage of
> rem and mod functions. Though I've read in help documents, I still
> don't accurately know.I'd like to know exactly how to use these
> functions.Explain me please.

From http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/rem.html the Tips section:

rem(X,Y) and mod(X,Y) are equal if X and Y have the same sign, but
differ by Y if X and Y have different signs.

Definitions:
R = rem(X,Y) if Y ~= 0, returns X - n.*Y where n = fix(X./Y).
B = fix(A) rounds the elements of A toward zero, resulting in an array
of integers.
M = mod(X,Y) if Y ~= 0, returns X - n.*Y where n = floor(X./Y).
B = floor(A) rounds the elements of A to the nearest integers less than
or equal to A.

Alan Weiss