Topic: help me plot this code -- urgency
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Roger Stafford

Re: help me plot this code -- urgency

"maia " <antonietta.arista@yahoo.com> wrote in message <kdsank$br5$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> hi
> i want plot p(K) in this program
> when i write the code it give me error
> i don't know why
>
> and i don't know what i should do
>
> i need it very soon in fact in 1 day

> thank you very much
> and
> sorry in advance for my poor English

> my code
>
> close all
> clear
> clc
> syms k r n teta z
> n=0:1:5;
> d=.8;
> rs=1;
> re=1.3-d;
> sum=0;
> for n=1:4
> pin= besseli(n,k*r);
> pin1=besselk(n,k*re);
> pin2=((1-eps)*besseli(n,k*re).*besselk(n,k*rs).*diff(besselk(n,k*rs))).*(1./(eps*diff(besselk(n,k*rs)).*besseli(n,k*rs)-besselk(n,k*rs).*diff(besseli(n,k*rs))));
> pin3=2*pin2.*pin1.*pin.*cos(n.*teta);
> sum=sum+pin3;
> end
> teta=0:1:360;
> k=0:.1:10;
> r=0:(re/length(k)):re;
> [X Y Z]=ndgrid(teta,r,k);
> pk=cos(Z.*X).*sum;
> plot(pk);

I will list various things that worry me about your code:

1) You have listed k, r, n, and teta as symbolic, and you seem to expect that pin, pin1, pin2, pin3, and sum will all be able to operate in symbolic form. I am not sure that will work, especially since you have also used the same designations of these variables for numerical values.

4) In diff(besselk(n,k*rs)) and diff(besseli(n,k*rs)) you apparently expect the symbolic toolbox to know the derivatives of the two modified Bessel functions, but are you sure it does? If it doesn't, you need the formula for them which you can find in Wikipedia at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

(Yesterday I thought the diff was meant to be numerical differencing based on the line "n=0:1:5;" which accounts for my remark about size discrepancy then.)

3) You have supposedly created a symbolic 'sum' which bears no relation to a 3D array and yet you seem to expect the line "pk=cos(Z.*X).*sum;" to treat it as such with the n, k, and teta in accordance with the ndgrid which you have formed. That cannot possibly work as it stands.

2) You have created three dimensional arrays X, Y, Z and from them pk which you placed in plot. I don't think plot knows how to deal with 3D arrays. Matlab has no good method for displaying a quantity as a function of three independent variables. It would need four dimensions to work with and our world is unfortunately only three-dimensional.

Roger Stafford