Topic: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Replies: 41   Last Post: Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

I am willing to accept GSC's invitation ... for a bit.

Rosa & Greeno are not truly in opposition w/r CCSS, as such.

Below, Rosa does go off onto his own tangential negative judgments about
"psuedo education" and the residues from 1989. History is not so derogatory,
but that is not what this theme is about.

Far more pertinent are the four categories of beneficiaries that he
identified.

Until now, the main issue has been the need for identifying the highest
level of curricular standards on which most/all states can agree ... to
serve as a *minimum expectation*. How well the present version of the CCSS
can so serve is an aspect worth inspecting. There does seem to be some
evidence that for some states, the CCSS raises the bar higher than was
previously tolerable. There also is widespread belief that the CCSS do not
raise the bar high enough ... at least, not enough to serve as a *par*
level.

But Rosa surfaces the next step ... and another aspect that cannot safely be
ignored. For any state to officially "accept" or even "adopt" the CCSS is
merely for it to make a formal declaration ... that all of its schools
should do at least that well. But if that state then endeavors to actually
implement the CCSS (or any other statewide standards), the machineries of
implementation can be wastefully costly and even disastrous.

For a starter, we might anticipate that no two school districts ... no two
school officials ... no two teachers ... could possibly interpret the
printed CCSS in exactly the same meanings. Some directions of
"implementation" might even, in some important ways, be directly opposite to
each other.

AS Rosa surfaces, the issues of assessment cannot be avoided. Indeed, each
state's modes and mechanisms of assessment will be the force that orients
and unifies how its schools strive to implement the CCSS. Good tools can
help; poor tools can severely undermine progress. Our present technologies
for assessing learning and/or instructional productivity are far too
primitive to provide the needed guidance.

As Rosa says, any chosen modes of assessment surely will create markets for
goods and services. But there is grave danger that those elements could lead
progress in very unhealthy directions.

Our only hope seems to lie in accelerating the development of a genuine
science of instructology. It most likely would disclose that the very idea
of scheduling children's learning into age-levels is quite contrary to their
personal educational health.

Cordially,

Clyde