Topic: Top Scientist: Math is FATAL to Evolution
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 27, 2013 7:31 PM

forbisgaryg@gmail.com

Re: Top Scientist: Math is FATAL to Evolution

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:33:57 PM UTC-8, BroilJAB wrote:
> "Our intimate knowledge of molecular chemistry
>
> shows a 10^4000 impossibility for Evolution."
>
> --Dr.Haldane

I like this one better:
"Theories have four stages of acceptance. i) this is worthless nonsense; ii) this is an interesting, but perverse, point of view, iii) this is true, but quite unimportant; iv) I always said so."

I doubt BroilJAB reads sci.math. I think people who initiate crossposts
should read all of the groups to which they crosspost. Google groups
doesn't allow crossposts. I will return to reporting these off topic
threads for abuse if I don't get a reply to the following request by tomorrow
evening:

Upon what basis was the 10^4000 number created?
What is the probability of the universe being in the very state it is
in at any particular moment?

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

"In 1952, in the Miller?Urey experiment, a mixture of water, hydrogen, methane, and ammonia was cycled through an apparatus that delivered electrical sparks to the mixture. After one week, it was found that about 10% to 15% of the carbon in the system was now in the form of a racemic mixture of organic compounds, including amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins.

The underlying hypothesis held by Oparin and Haldane was that conditions on the primeval Earth favored chemical reactions that synthesized organic compounds from inorganic precursors. A recent reanalysis of the saved vials containing the original extracts that resulted from the Miller and Urey experiments, using current and more advanced analytical equipment and technology, has uncovered more biochemicals than originally discovered in the 1950s. One of the more important findings was 23 amino acids, far more than the five originally discovered."

Since Haldane held these chemicals were probable in the early Earth "soup"
the issue would be the probability of the organization of the amino acids.
Can you tell me the probability of no amino acids in a 100 gallon drum of
them undergoing Earth-like conditions for 100 years forming a larger
molecular structure?