Topic: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Replies: 76   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:57 PM

J. Antonio Perez M.

Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:00:26 AM UTC+2, david petry wrote:
> Doron Zeilberger wrote the following in an opinion piece on his website:
>

> "Read Wolfgang Mueckenheim's fascinating book ! I especially like the bottom of page 112 and the top of page 113, that prove, once and for all, that (at least) the actual infinity is pure nonsense."
>

> http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion68.html
>

> I'd be interested in seeing an English translation of the bottom of page 112 and the top of page 113.

This is already old water in sci.math. All this _exactly_ was discussed here a good time ago. The following are the last lines in that page in Doron's blog:

"Added Dec. 6, 2008: I am very pleased and honored that Wolfgang Mueckenheim quoted this opinion in lecture XI of his fascinating course.

Added March 27, 2011: Read Wolfgang Mueckenheim's fascinating book ! I especially like the bottom of page 112 and the top of page 113, that prove, once and for all, that (at least) the actual infinity is pure nonsense.

Clarification added Aug. 25, 2011: My endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim's wonderful book is purely philosophical. I have no expertise, or interest, in checking any possible technical claims that he may have made."

As we all can see, Doron's stooped down to a level that is hardly justifiable in any person, leave alone a mathematician: he dares to _claim_ that WM's trash has proven, once and for all, that actual infinity is pure nonsense.

Then, after some time's ellapsed and he was, perhaps, strongly laughed at by his collegues and peers, he writes a disclaimer, pointing out he has no expertise, nor interest...etc.

How in the world can a serious MATHEMATICIAN _claim_ that something written in a book/paper has proved "once and for all" that so and so and then, later, he whines he has no expertise, interest and etc. in the paper/book's claims TO DO SO??

This reinforces the view of other poster here that Doron's enthusiastic support for WM's trash is based on anything but mathematics...perhaps in some sort of "cranks of the world: unite!" solidarity, or perhaps his desperation of seeing his ridiculous and insulting writings on this issue grant him the dispise and laughter of his peers he tried get some support from a well-known crank.

Tonio

Date Subject Author
1/29/13
Read Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David C. Ullrich
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Frederick Williams
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a not so serious non-mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
1/30/13
[...]
quasi
1/30/13
[...]
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious self-confessed non-mathematician?
Virgil
1/31/13
[...]
Read Re: Poor Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
[...]
fom
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Brian Q. Hutchings