Topic: filling plot symbols with a gradient?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 4:06 PM

dpb

Re: filling plot symbols with a gradient?

On 1/31/2013 1:47 PM, dpb wrote:
> On 1/31/2013 12:33 PM, Peter Mao wrote:
>> is it possible to fill plot symbols with a gradient in the color,
>> instead of a flat color?
>>
>> For a presentation, I'd like to put on my plots a circle representing a
>> 3-sigma error with the color going from black to white with the grey
>> level correlated to the gaussian amplitude as a function of radius.
>>
>> my fallback is to just show the 1 and 3 sigma contours

> You'd have to draw the individual markers unless the error is constant
> as there's only a single marker object for the line. There are the
> 'Marker[Face|Edge]Color' properties; whether it accepts the range of
> options a patch object in general does I've not investigated specifically.
>
> It's certainly doable as a standalone addition to the plot of course if
> you're willing to work on it some...

Actually, it's come to me that you couldn't do the gaussian-proportional
shading on the markers 'cuz there's no scaling w/ position to use.

You can probably figure out a way to do it but it'll have to be done as
adding the enhancement of plotting circles w/ surfaces methinks to get
the patches to shade...