Topic: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Replies: 28   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:57 PM

JT

Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases

On 1 Feb, 23:16, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 15:06, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>

> > JT wrote:
> > > And 0.999... would be expressed as 0.3 or.......?
>
> > What are you asking?  Does 0.9 recurring (in base 10)  have the same
> > value as 0.3 (in base 3)?  No, 0.9 recurring (in base 10) has the same
> > value as 1.0 (in base 3).

> > --
> > When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> > this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> > Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

> No what i say is that my  number bases do not require 0, actually it
> is pointless.
> Example using base 3 (but is of course appliable to any base)
>
> 1=1
> 2=2
> 3=3
> 4=11
> 5=12
> 6=13
> 7=21
> 8=22
> 9=23
>
> Well you get the hang of it, and what follows is...
> 3,333...=3,1
> 6,333...=13,1
> 9,666...=23,2
>
> And as you can see the decimal expansions finite.

Sorry digit expansions.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Frederick Williams
[...]
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Virgil
2/3/13