Topic: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Replies: 28   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:57 PM

forbisgaryg@gmail.com

Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases

On Friday, February 1, 2013 1:10:12 PM UTC-8, JT wrote:
> You are confused the zeros in 1/2 1/4 etc etc is imaginary not real.
> And for the endless expansion of digits in 1/3, 1/7 i offered a
> solution using bases without zero.

And what of x in
x = 1 - 1

Now construct 1/9th in base 3.

0.[9] in base 10(given 9 is followed by 10)
0.[2] in base 3 is the same.

x = 0.[2]
10x = 2.[2]
10x - x = 2
2x = 2
x = 1

I can disagree with Frederik Williams about
.3 base 3 = 1 base 3 in your numbering system
Now what was the benefit again? Why do I want a
3 in base 3?

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
[...]
2/2/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Frederick Williams
[...]
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Virgil
2/3/13