Topic: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM

Achimota

Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:24:54 AM UTC+8, quasi wrote:
> Suppose (X,d) is not complete. Then there must exist a
> Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge. Let Y be the
> set of distinct elements of that Cauchy sequence. Then any
> infinite subset of Y is closed in X but not complete.

Sorry to bother you again. I still don't follow.
Why is Y closed in (X,d)?

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:24:54 AM UTC+8, quasi wrote:
> Daniel J. Greenhoe wrote:
>

> >Butch Malahide wrote:
>
> >>quasi wrote

> >Understood.

> >> Oh, right. At least 2^{aleph_0} of them.
>

> >Not understood. Can someone help me understand this one?
>

> Suppose (X,d) is not complete. Then there must exist a
>
> Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge. Let Y be the
>
> set of distinct elements of that Cauchy sequence. Then any
>
> infinite subset of Y is closed in X but not complete. Since
>
> Y is countably infinite, the cardinality of the set of
>
> infinite subsets of Y is 2^(aleph_0).
>

> quasi

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Achimota
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Achimota
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/2/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
William Hughes
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/1/13
Read closed but not complete