Topic: making a Module or Column that will print lines interspersed with plots
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 1:25 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: making a Module or Column that will print lines interspersed with plots

For the record, a semi-colon does _not_ in itself suppress output.
Rather, a semi-colon separates the constituent expressions of a compound
expression. When, however, there is a terminal semi-colon, the compound
expression is treated as if there were a Null after that semi-colon. And
Null returns no output. Hence the behavior is _as if_ the terminal
semi-colon suppresses the output of the preceding expression.

On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:24 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote:

> This sort of thing has been asked about and answered in this newsgroup
many times since Mathematica 6 appeared. The magic cure is to wrap each
graphic with Print:

> macro := Module[{j},
> Print["something"];
> Print[plota];
> Print["something else"];
> Print[plotb]
> ]
>
> (Pretty-printing there just for structural clarity.)
>
> And since you define "macro" with SetDelayed ( := ), there's no need

for the semicolon you have terminating the whole piece of code.

> Explanation: in Mathematica <= 5, the appearance of a graphic

display was a side-effect; in Mathematica >= 6, the graphic display is
the direct output as result. This implies that if you have some graphic
object plotObject and use it in the form "plotObject;" with a trailing
semi-colon, that just as with any other Mathematica expression, this
suppresses the output. Hence when you are using a semi-colon to separate
the component expressions of a compound expression -- as you are doing
inside a Module -- then you must do something to counteract the effect
of such a trailing semi-colon. And Print does that.

> On Feb 3, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Bruce Shore <bwshore@me.com> wrote:
>

>> I run Mathematica 7. I have some legacy notebooks, from Mathematica 5, in which there were Modules such as
>>
>> macro :=Module[{j},
>> Print["something"];
>> plota;
>> Print["something else"];
>> plotb
>> ];
>>
>> where plota and plotb were plots. Now with Mathematica 7 the

semicolons prevent the plots from showing up. Show[plota]; has the same
problem. The semicolons, which are needed in a Module, prevent the
plotting. I have tried using a Column or a Graphics column,

>> macro:=Column[{
>> Print["something"],
>> plota,
>> Print["something else"],
>> plotb
>> }]
>>
>> and this does the printing and the plotting, but all the printing

comes at the beginning and all the plots come after that. I really want
the printing to come in between the plots, in the order that I show
them. How can I do this?

murray@math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

---