Topic: Definition of major/minor grid lines
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 11:17 PM

Paul

Re: Definition of major/minor grid lines

On Feb 7, 9:50 am, "Steven_Lord" <sl...@mathworks.com> wrote:
>"Paul" <paul.domas...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The help for "grid" makes liberal use of the terms "major/minor
>> grid lines". I haven't been able to find a clear definition of
>> what defines those grid lines. Should this not be one of those
>> things that can be found right away?

> Take a look in the "More About" section of the documentation page
> for GRID:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/grid.html
>
> "Major grid lines" are those controlled by the {X|Y|Z}Grid
> properties of the axes:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/axes_props.html#XGrid
>
> They are aligned with the tick locations controlled by the
> {X|Y|Z}Tick properties.
>
> "Minor grid lines" are those controlled by the {X|Y|Z}MinorGrid
> properties and are aligned with the minor tick lines whose presence
> or absence is controlled by the {X|Y|Z}MinorTick properties.

I did in fact look at that section. I think what's missing is the
sentences that you have in your post i.e. "Major grid lines are
controlled/determined by ....". As it is currently written the help
page merely indicates that "grid" sets some properties (possibly in
addition to setting up the grid).

Also, it is rather unusual these days for terms like "XGrid", "YGrid",
"ZMinorGrid" to be not hyperlinked in the help page. If find that no
matter how many decades I've used it in the past, coming back to
Matlab after a few months always becomes a game of finding out how to
find help.

Do you hold any sway over the folks at TMW about the documentation?