Topic: Odd layout of latex formulas
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 27, 2013 7:49 PM

matt dash

Re: Odd layout of SANS SERIF latex formulas

Paul <paul.domaskis@gmail.com> wrote in message <c5327304-5cf0-4b09-a9a6-8fc0bc1424e5@ia3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>...
> On Feb 10, 12:29 am, "matt dash" <n...@mail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 7, 1:26pm, Paul <paul.domas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have the following ylabel for my graph:
> >>
> >> yLab = [ '$$ \mathsf{' ...
> >> '\frac{ \tilde{Q}_T }{ Q_T } = ' ...
> >> '\frac{ \sqrt{Q_S} }{ Q_T } ' ...
> >> '} $$' ];
> >> ylabel( yLab, 'Interpreter', 'latex' );
> >>
> >> The tilde is suppose to be above the Q, but it's pushed right into
> >> the Q.
> >>
> >> What might cause this? Can anyone suggest a workaround? ... I am
> >> seeking a workaround without abandoning sans serif font.

> > It works fine for me on 2010a... maybe it's version or hardware
> > dependent...

> I'm using 2012a. It would be odd that a more advanced version
> misbehaves in this way (though admittedly, not unimaginable).

Well, i did some digging... unfortunately, for reasons I won't even try go guess, it looks like they did in fact remove all the normal latex fonts from matlab 2012a and b. They used to be in the folder matlab/sys/fonts/type1/cm or /ttf/cm/. Now there is a much smaller list of fonts and they all have the mwa_ prefix. But apparently mathsf is looking for the fontname without the mwa_ prefix. (cmss10). (A coworker also had a problem where an exported .eps now has all mwa_ fonts now that no other program recognizes. Why do they do this....)

I tried just copying the real latex fonts into those directories, but it didnt fix it. Apparently matlab isnt actually checking that folder for fonts, but has a list somewhere of fonts it knows about. Hopefully there's some way to update that list. Maybe you can get answers from tech support.