Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math.independent

Topic: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Replies: 37   Last Post: Mar 18, 2013 9:27 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
byron

Posts: 865
Registered: 3/3/09
Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 9:02 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

On Friday, February 8, 2013 4:56:49 PM UTC+11, sperm...@yahoo.com wrote:
> australias leading erotic poet shows that if
>
> 0.9999... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
>
>
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/40697621/Mathematics-Ends-in-Meaninglessness-ie-self-contradiction
>
>
>
> simply
>
> 0.9999.... is a non-finite number/
>
> 1 is a finite number
>
> thus we have
>
> a finite number = non-finite number
>
> thus a contradiction in terms
>
> thus
>
> mathematics ends in contradiction

you say

"> what is the question is what does it MEAN
> fact is


you say
"0.999... means Sum_(n= 1...oo) 9/10^n"

as said
> 0,.999... = 1
> is not in question -on this post


the post is about what it MEANS
fact is
0,.999... never ends
fact is 1 does end

so 0,.999... = 1
means
a number that does not end ie non-finite = a number that does end ie finite
thus maths ends in contradiction

fact is 0.999.. never ends ie non-finte



Date Subject Author
2/8/13
Read 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Earle Jones
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
AP
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
bacle
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
harold james
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Pfsszxt@aol.com
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means byron wants to advertise for leslie
bacle
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/8/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
bacle
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/10/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/10/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
2/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/10/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
2/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999.... = 1 means mathematics ends in contradiction
Wally W.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.