Topic: sqrt(x) without approximation?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Re: sqrt(x) without approximation?

On Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:30:25 PM UTC-8, Virgil wrote:
> In article
> <98c9f2d8-e09f-4cc3-aeda-d51f831b840c@k14g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> JT <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there always such a base for any N that we can write sqrt(N)
> > without approximation? Would it matter if we use NyaN or standard
> > bases.

> No and no!
> While sqrt(N) for nonsquare N, can be approximated in standard
> notations, I do not see that there can be any analog to digits to the
> right of a decimal point for your NyaN numbers.

In base sqrt(n), n is expressed as 100. I'm not sure how to add the
natural number 1 to a number in a fractional base system where the
base is > 1. I would presume that in base 2.5(decimal), 2 + 1 = 10.111...,
though I'm not quite sure.