Topic: sqrt(x) without approximation?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 11:47 AM

forbisgaryg@gmail.com

Re: sqrt(x) without approximation?

On Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:46:46 PM UTC-8, JT wrote:

> What base are you writing 2,5 equal 10.111... you totally lost me
> here, can you write out the multiples so i see what is going on?

In base 2.5

10 (base 2.5) = 2.5 (base 10)
2 + 1 (base 2.5) = 10 (base 2.5) + .5(base 10)
2.5^(-1) = .4 (decimal)
10.1 (base 2.5) = 2.9 (base 10)
2.5^(-2) = .16
OK, I goofed up.
10.11 (base 2.5) is too big for 2+1. That'll teach me to try
doing this in my head. It's hard for me to think in a non-natural
number base--it isn't natural.

base 2.5 to base 10 pairs
1 = 1
10 = 2.5