Topic: Why schools used to be better
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 1:05 AM

Anna Roys

Re: Why schools used to be better
att1.html (3.4 K)

Responding to GSC with clarification:

By "summative" I mean NCLB standards based assessments that are aggregated
across categories, and compared by school, state and nation.

I think these assessments are primarily for policy makers and do not help
teachers that much in driving instruction day after day in the classroom.
Instead they take away critical time that students need to think deeply and
instead force us teachers to focus and spend extra time checking for and
building skills. ( I do think skills are important, but they are only one
piece of the puzzle. )

I also believe these tests cannot adequately assess the whole child and
students' innate ability to learn. Again I assert, a primary purpose of
life is to learn and we are born knowing how to do it. It seems that
whether students believe in themselves and their ability to succeed plays
a huge role. Somewhere along the way many students often question whether
they can do it. I tell my students they can do it and stretch them as far
as possible with high expectations, then modify expectations for those who
really need it.

Anna