Topic: Question: Centroid given a distance metric
Replies: 14   Last Post: Feb 12, 2013 1:04 PM

quasi

Re: Question: Centroid given a distance metric

quasi wrote:

>For a general distance function, the sum of squares of the
>distances may have no geometric significance whatsoever, so
>calling a point which minimizes that sum "a centroid" is,
>in my opinion, a poor choice of terminology.

Aside from the sum-of-squares property, the points you are
investigating share almost no common properties with the
ordinary centroid.

As a suggestion, perhaps the points you are investigating
could be called "SOS points" (sum-of-squares points).

quasi