Topic: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 11:34 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

Joe Niederberger posted Feb 16, 2013 10:59 PM:
> GS Chandy writes:
> >Indeed, it has lost punch. Unless it was a poor joke
> to begin with.
>
> Oh, I kinda liked it, pretty good for math jokes.
>
> Here's one:
> A mathematics professor was lecturing
> to a class of students. As he wrote something
> on the board, he said to the class
> ?Of course, this is immediately obvious.?
> Upon seeing the blank stares of the students,
> he turned back to contemplate
> what he had just written. He began to
> pace back and forth, deep in thought.
> After about 10 minutes, just as the silence
> was beginning to become uncomfortable,
> he brightened, turned to the
> class and said, ?Yes, it IS obvious.?

Now THAT'S an excellent math joke (IMHO)! I recall that one of my grad school professors used to do almost exactly that. (He didn't take quite 10 minutes to arrive at his 'conclusion' of course).

> More here:
> http://www.ams.org/notices/200501/fea-dundes.pdf

I shall look forward to reading those.

GSC

Date Subject Author
2/11/13
Read Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Jerry P. Becker
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Clyde Greeno
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/18/13