Topic: infinity can't exist
Replies: 34   Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 9:31 PM

Bart Goddard

Re: infinity can't exist

Pfsszxt@aol.com wrote in news:fc9lh89sleccj04l92594o5cv3f7i4u4go@
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:19:02 -0800 (PST), Craig Feinstein
> <cafeinst@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>Subtracting the equations, we get
>>
>>Nothing = sock taken out of drawer.
>>
>>This is false, so infinity cannot exist.

> No one ever sais "infiniry" exists! "it" isn't a place or thing or
> number. There is no such "thing" --- well it is the name given to a
> mathematical symbol -- which does not refer to a number, place or
> thing!

In this context, infinity IS a number, since we're talking about
the cardinality of some set. We're not abbreviating the concept
of "increasing without bound" here, but ennumerating a pile of socks.

Date Subject Author
2/12/13
Read infinity can't exist
Craig Feinstein