Topic: unable to open csv file
Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 9:39 AM

Barry Williams

Re: unable to open csv file

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kfdouj$jjt$2@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 2/8/2013 9:50 PM, neetesh wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > I have a csv file of an image.

> That an image would be in a csv file seems strange at best...
>

> > This file contains only numbers . In excel it shows around 255 rows and
> > 100 columns with negative , zeros and positive numbers.
> > when I try to open it using
> > csvread('filename')
> >
> > I get this error message :
> >
> > ??? Error using ==> dlmread at 145
> > Mismatch between file and format string.
> > Trouble reading number from file (row 2, field 1) ==> \n
> >
> > Error in ==> csvread at 50
> > m=dlmread(filename, ',', r, c);
> >
> > i tried to change it to txt and open with textread . still doesn't work
> >
> > please advise

> Need more specifics on the file, obviously.
>
> --

dpb is correct. We need more specifics. I would note, however, that a csv file can contain non-obvious data in a cell that will generate exactly the error that you are getting. For example:

1.2 2.3 4.5
3.1 5.8 9
l.1 10 8.5

Depending upon the font, it may not be apparent upon inspection that the row 3, col 1 contains lower case L period 1, rather than the decimal 1.1

Note that if I try to read the file using csvread, I get the following error message:

Error using ==> textscan
Mismatch between file and format string.
Trouble reading number from file (row 3, field 1) ==> l.1,1

Error in ==> csvread at 45
m=dlmread(filename, ',', r, c);

Barry