Topic: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 6:51 PM

Vince Virgilio

Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:47:45 AM UTC-5, da...@wolfram.com wrote:
> Readers of comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica (MathGroup) might be interested in the latest blog from Stephen Wolfram.
>

> http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2013/02/what-should-we-call-the-language-of-mathematica/
>

> It raises the question of what to call the programming language of Mathematica. I will quote from near the end:
>

> "What should the name be? I'm hoping to get feedback on the ideas I've discussed here, as well as to get new suggestions."
>

> The Comments section has reached 66 as of the time of my writing this note. And the blog is but a few hours old. Suggestions are solicited.
>

> Daniel Lichtblau
>
> Wolfram Research

The Mathematica "language" is roughly the Abstract Syntax Tree mechanics that most compilers use internally. It can indeed be separated from the leaves or terminals of the syntax tree, where most of WRI's intellectual property lives---the algorithms.

So how about naming the language "MAST", for Mathematica Abstract Syntax Tree? A quick Google shows no name collisions.

Vince