Topic: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 6:51 PM

Vince Virgilio

Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:09:41 AM UTC-5, John Doty wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2013 4:00:29 AM UTC-7, Vince Virgilio wrote:
>

> > The Mathematica "language" is roughly the Abstract Syntax Tree mechanics that most
>
> > compilers use internally. It can indeed be separated from the leaves or terminals of the
>
> > syntax tree, where most of WRI's intellectual property lives---the algorithms.
>

> Ah, but there's another layer that's essential: pattern matching and replacement. Without that, the syntax is meaningless. Mathematica isn't like a language that gets compiled to machine language or pseudocode.

Maybe. I'm no expert. But I think conventional compilers have to do things internally very similar to what Mathematica exposes as pattern matching and replacement. That might have been a big component of Stephen Wolfram's genius in promoting the language. Less is More --- at a cost.

Vince