Topic: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 1:09 AM

David Park

Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

To each his own. To me it's like constantly swatting away flies. I would
prefer that WRI gave us the additional option of restoring Ctrl+K. After
all, they have retained Ctrl+Shift+K.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murrayeisenberg@gmail.com]

To the contrary, I find the new (by default) auto-completion a significant
improvement over having to use Ctrl+K. E.g., say I want to type
ChiDistribution. I type 'Chi' and get the drop-down list of 3 possible
completions. Only one of these 3 has 'D' as the next letter. So I just type
'D' and press Return. Mathematica completes the rest.

That's a fairly short example. I've found that I can type long expressions,
with many names in them (`System or `Global) much faster now.

This helps makes up for Mathematica's verbose descriptive language, in
contrast with languages where names are short but often cryptic.

On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:10 AM, "djmpark" <djmpark@comcast.net> wrote:

> ...All the doo-dads are to me a nuisance. The one thing I liked was
> the Ctrl+K (which I could type faster than you can say Jack Rabbit)

command completion.
> But now Ctrl+K is gone and what replaces it is ill-conceived and horrible.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305