Topic: probability question about the dice game
Replies: 21   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 2:47 PM

Paul

Re: probability question about the dice game

On Friday, February 15, 2013 3:22:52 PM UTC, David C. Ullrich wrote:
There are 505 equally likely cases leading to a win and 791

> equally likely cases leading to a loss. That makes the odds of
>
> winning precisely 505 to 795.

David, this is the mistake of yours that I was referring to. Correct would be "That makes the odds of winning precisely 791 to 505". (795 instead of 791 is a typo here(.

So this was a mistake of yours.

I thought the cause of your mistake was confusion on your part between X/(X+Y) and Y/(X + Y).

But clearly your mistake lies somewhere else since you're complaining so much.

Paul Epstein