Topic: probability question about the dice game
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 10:43 AM

Paul

Re: probability question about the dice game

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:15:26 PM UTC, David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:30:41 -0800 (PST), pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Giggle. Yes, now would be exactly the right time to "move away from
>

> >> the argument".
>

> >> Guffaw.
>

> >I don't find it that hilarious. Obviously, I've been shown to be wrong about what standard usage is.
>

> Until this last post it wasn't obvious that it was clear to _you_.
>
> And it may not have been clear to other readers.
>

> What quasi said. When you say "Ullrich is wrong" four or five times,
>
> then you find that I was right all along, you're supposed to
>
> acknowledge that fact.
>

> For two reasons: (i) to set the record straight for the benefit
>
> of readers who might otherwise think you were right all along,
>
> (ii) as a matter of common courtesy.
>

> For future reference, saying something like "this seems wrong to me",
>
> or "I don't think so", would be less embarassing in case it turned out
>
> you were wrong.
>

> Also for future reference, you were insisting that what I was saying
>
> was not standard usage. I would never insist that someone else's
>
> usage was wrong without checking somewhere first! Just because
>
> I know saying X is correct it doesn't follow that saying Y is wrong.
>

> Checking it out. For most of this thread I honestly didn't
>
> follow exactly what error you were claiming I was making.
>
> As soon as that became clear to me I looked it up. Why?
>
> Because I was aware that I _might_ be wrong!
>

> Looking it up was very very easy. You could have done the same.

I basically agree with the above (about 99.9% agreement). Earlier, I started a thread about "surprise" in mathematics. I will now say something about another emotion -- "embarrassment". On the subject of my own emotions, I can give two scenarios. Scenario A: I say "I think A is wrong about..." and A is proved right. Scenario B: I say "A is wrong about..." and A is proved right I would actually find the degree of embarrassment in both scenarios to be equivalent. I would not experience more embarrassment in scenario B although I agree that scenario A is a preferable style of discourse.

Paul Epstein