Topic: Speak Command in Ver 9
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 4:08 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Speak Command in Ver 9

On my Mac with Mathematica 9.0.1, I'm not getting any skipped decimal points:

v1={123.4567890123, N[Pi]} // Speak

However, what is spoken is:

"The list one hundred twenty-three point zero comma three point one four."

you use an option to speak, you'll hear all the digits you want:

Speak[v1, "RealPrecisionLimit" -> 15]

Likewise with your m, I'm not hearing any skipped decimal points or any substitution of "dot" for "point" (after trying this repeatedly with different random numbers as the matrix entries).

On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:09 AM, Dana DeLouis <dana01@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello. I have a question on the Speak command in Math 9.
> I'm using a Mac computer if it makes a difference.
> I can't seem to have it read back numbers consistently with the decimal point.
> I was wondering if anyone here knew why.
> The idea here is that I enter data that I read from a text book, or perhaps a piece of paper.
> i enter the data, and then have the program read it back to me to make sure I typed it in correctly.
> The code is below. Here's some simple data to explain the issue.
>
> v1={123.4567890123, N[Pi]}
>
> {123.4567890123`, 3.141592653589793`}
>

> The first number is correctly read back as "1 2 3 point 4 5 6=85"
> However, for the second number, the decimal point is skipped.
> "3 1 4 1 5=85"
>
> Other examples do this at what appears to be random times.
> I can't seem to figure it out.
>
> Here's another example;
>

> m=RandomReal[{0,2},{2,2}];
> m//MatrixForm
> (1.09281 0.271472
> 0.242919 1.62972
> )
>
> For this particular set of numbers, it skips the decimal point in the first number.
> "1 0 9 2 8 1=85"
>
> For the second and third numbers, it uses the word "Dot" for the decimal point.
>
> "zero dot 2 7 1 4 =85"
> "zero dot 2 4 2 9 =85"
>
> For the last one, it uses "point" instead.
>
> "1 point 6 2 9 7 =85"
>

> I just can't figure out why it skips reading the decimal point in some numbers.
>
> Here's my code:
>
> ReadBack[v_List]:=Module[{s},
> Pause[1];
> (* Allow Time to get ready *)
> s=StringJoin["I will read the list of ",ToString[Length[Flatten[v]]]," items back to you"];
> Speak[s];
> Pause[3];
> Speak[v,
> "RealPrecisionLimit"->\[Infinity],
> "IncludeParentheses"->True]
> ]
>

> v1={123.4567890123,N[Pi]}
>
> {123.4567890123`,3.141592653589793`}
>
> ReadBack[v1]
>

> Again, I'm not sure why it skips the decimal point in the second number above.
> It appears like it should be read with this code.
>
> SpokenString[v1,"RealPrecisionLimit"->\[Infinity],
> "IncludeParentheses"->True]
>
> the list 123.4567890123, 3.141592653589793
>

> Also, I don't seem to be able to find an option setting to tell the Speak command to wait till it is finished before moving on to the next line.
> In other words, the Pause[3] is running while the speak command is running.
>
> test3[]:=Module[{},
> Print[DateList[]];
> Speak["This is just a very long sentence about nothing"];
> Print[DateList[]];
> ]
>
> test3[]
> {2013,2,15,15,49,4.201141}
> {2013,2,15,15,49,4.209637}
>
> As one can see, it's processing the next command while the Speak command is working.

> [...]

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305