Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 3, 2013 10:40 PM

J. Antonio Perez M.

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:26:38 PM UTC+2, Robert Clark wrote:
> I really don't like coincidences in science. Reports are asteroids
>
> the size of 2012 DA14 getting this close occur about once in 30
>
> years. And meteors the size of the Russian one enter our atmosphere
>
> about similar frequency. But the problem is their both occurring in
>
> the same 24 hour period. If you imagine the asteroid arriving on a
>
> particular day, the question to ask is what is the probability of the
>
> Russian meteor arriving on that same day? Once in 30 years, and then
>
> 365 days in a year, means the chance of this happening is like 1 in
>
> 10,000. That's disturbingly unlikely.
>
> On the other hand if this really is just coincidence, then it should
>
> be kept in mind that chances this low have been quoted in regards to
>
> large asteroids impacting Earth in our lifetime.
>

> Bob Clark

What I find disturbing is the "...if this really is just a coincidence..." part. What else could, in your opinion, be? A celestial complot? A poorly designed and carried on atack by aliens?...

Tonio

Date Subject Author
2/17/13
Read Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Poutnik
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Dworetsky
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Bacle H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
gnasher729
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
Frederick Williams
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Don H
bradguth@gmail.com
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Michael Stemper
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
2/22/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read approach at same time.
Brian Q. Hutchings