Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 3, 2013 10:40 PM

bradguth@gmail.com

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Feb 17, 2:36 pm, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
<moor...@ignorethisgreenms.com> wrote:
> >"DonH"  wrote in message

> >"Robert Clark" <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> I really don't like coincidences in science. Reports are asteroids
> >> the size of 2012 DA14  getting this close occur about once in 30
> >> years. And meteors the size of the Russian one enter our atmosphere
> >> about similar frequency. But the problem is their both occurring in
> >> the same 24 hour period. If you imagine the asteroid arriving on a
> >> particular day, the question to ask is what is the probability of the
> >> Russian meteor arriving on that same day? Once in 30 years, and then
> >> 365 days in a year, means the chance of this happening is like 1 in
> >> 10,000. That's disturbingly unlikely.
> >> On the other hand if this really is just coincidence, then it should
> >> be kept in mind that chances this low have been quoted in regards to
> >> large asteroids impacting Earth in our lifetime.

> >> Bob Clark
>
> ># So, is there any evidence that the meteor "pealed off" from the asteroid,
> >or that there is some connection between the two - apart from coincidence
> >of occurrence?

> Not really. Very different orbits.
>
> Just one of those cosmic wake-up calls trying to remind us that we're not as
> safe as we'd like to think.
>

> --
> Greg D. Moore                  http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
> CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

And we're getting closer to the Sirius Oort cloud, if not already
within its radii.

Date Subject Author
2/17/13
Read Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Poutnik
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Dworetsky
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Bacle H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
gnasher729
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
Frederick Williams
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Don H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Michael Stemper
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
2/22/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read approach at same time.
Brian Q. Hutchings