Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 3, 2013 10:40 PM

Michael Stemper

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

In article <95b24a5e-9206-4255-b707-37c529aa9a1c@j9g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>, bob haller <hallerb@aol.com> writes:
>On Feb 19, 8:44=A0am, Jeff Findley <jeff.find...@nospam.ugs.com> wrote:
>> In article <f083dec5-571b-401d-988a-e007478dda73@fv9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, hall...@aol.com says...

>> > well the elephant in the room question, are these a isolated incident
>> > or the start of a new trend???????

>> Probability and statistics. =A0Get some.

>=3D
>somepeople ran the numbers, its a real out of this world concidence.
>
>I wonder if the earth is now passing thru a more littered area of
>space?

That would only be a meaningful thing to speculate on if the meteor and
the asteroid were sitting still in that volume of space. As it is, they
were both moving, and in differing directions. In other words, they were
in different places the day before the big excitement, and the asteroid
is now a long ways from where it was when it had its closest approach
with the Earth.

(Your speculation might be meaningful if they were moving with roughly
the same velocity, as in the case of the Perseids.)

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Date Subject Author
2/17/13
Read Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Poutnik
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Dworetsky
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Bacle H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
gnasher729
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
Frederick Williams
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Don H
bradguth@gmail.com
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Michael Stemper
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
2/22/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read approach at same time.
Brian Q. Hutchings