Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 3, 2013 10:40 PM

bradguth@gmail.com

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Feb 17, 8:26 am, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I really don't like coincidences in science. Reports are asteroids
> the size of 2012 DA14  getting this close occur about once in 30
> years. And meteors the size of the Russian one enter our atmosphere
> about similar frequency. But the problem is their both occurring in
> the same 24 hour period. If you imagine the asteroid arriving on a
> particular day, the question to ask is what is the probability of the
> Russian meteor arriving on that same day? Once in 30 years, and then
> 365 days in a year, means the chance of this happening is like 1 in
> 10,000. That's disturbingly unlikely.
> On the other hand if this really is just coincidence, then it should
> be kept in mind that chances this low have been quoted in regards to
> large asteroids impacting Earth in our lifetime.
>
> Bob Clark

Thanks to Google NOVA, we learn what it was and kinda where it came
from, and as it turns out there was no recent asteroid coincidence,
other than our Oort cloud and the merging Sirius Oort cloud will each
deliver millions of significant asteroids as potential NEOs in
addition to all the thousands of local asteroid belt items that can be
easily disrupted enough to head directly towards us, as well as making
any 19+ meter rock of 10,000+ tonnes seem relatively small by
comparison of what's actually out there and having our name on it.

Getting the USAF or any other military agency to share public funded
science with our mostly civilian NASA probably isn't going to happen,
at least not within our generation nor the next dozen that are
national and personal debt screwed to the tune of 18+ trillion anyway.

Thanks to our NASA/Apollo era of double/triple agents getting away
with all sorts of mutually perpetrated cold-war cloak and dagger plus
Paperclip Nazi stuff, is why any cross-agency collaboration simply
isn't going to happen unless there's significant job security or some
other military industrial complex benefits besides doing what's
right. Of course protecting our own butts is going to benefit others,
which should seriously piss off the oligarchs to no end.

This (EC 2013) is simply yet another ?I told you so?.

It?s certainly heating up, as one by one we get to play dodge asteroid
and otherwise prey a lot. Almost daily we get another undiscovered
asteroid sneaking past our radars as it passes inside of our moon?s
orbit, and it?ll be those of retrograde added velocity that?ll always
impose the greatest sneak attack threat.

2013 EC as yet another 19+ meter killer asteroid that could have been
headed directly for us. For all we know, as the Sirius Oort cloud
closes in, we?re in for a gauntlet of even bigger surprises unless
those observations pick up and our long-range radars are never turned
off.

Too bad our spendy JWST still can?t be counted on, because the Sirius
Oort cloud that has lots to offer is going to keep us wondering,
what?s next. At least once we?ve tunneled ourselves deep into our
physically dark and extremely tough moon, we?ll be safe from all but
the most planet killer asteroids or planetoids headed our way via
Sirius that released all sorts of big stuff.

This is simply becoming yet another ?I told you so?, with an ever
increasing asteroid threat looming and growing by the year. It?s
certainly heating up, as one by one we get to play dodge asteroid.
Perhaps pretty soon it?ll start acting more like Whack-a-Mole. Almost
daily an undiscovered asteroid sneaks past our radars as it passes
inside of our moon?s orbit (Apollo style), and it?ll be those of
retrograde added velocity that?ll always impose the greatest threat.
Fortunately, most will be of less than 10 meters and for the most part
harmlessly self-destruct before reaching the ground.

Conservatively those Sirius Oort clouds could easily represent a
million fold the mass of our Oort cloud, especially with the tidal
loss of its planets and asteroid belts, not to mention its enormous
Oort cloud radius that?s well populated.

2013-EC as simply yet another 19 meter killer asteroid that could have
just as easily been headed directly for us. For all we know, as the
Sirius Oort cloud closes in, we?re in for quite a busy gauntlet of
even bigger surprises, unless our observations pick up and our long
range radars are never turned off.

Too bad our spendy JWST can?t be counted on for spotting those IR cool
asteroids, because the Sirius Oort cloud that has lots to offer is
going to keep us on our toes and wondering, what?s next. At least once
we?ve tunneled ourselves sufficiently deep into our moon, we?ll be
relatively safe from all but the most planet killer asteroids or
planetoids headed our way via those Sirius stars closing in at 7.6 km/
sec plus whatever proper motions of orbital velocity differentials
that can easily add up to 60+ km/sec.

The real coincidence we can all identify with is how such a lethal
threat is handed off to us by our peers, as yet another no big deal
because it missed us, and obviously we really don?t care about
Russians or any other nation that?s put at risk. Google-NOVA was
attempting to point this out, but even they have higher authority to
obey, so they can only go so far within the context of their televised
infomercial, whereas naming names and finger pointing isn?t allowed.

Date Subject Author
2/17/13
Read Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Poutnik
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Dworetsky
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Bacle H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
gnasher729
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
Frederick Williams
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Don H
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/17/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/18/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Michael Stemper
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
2/22/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read approach at same time.
Brian Q. Hutchings