Topic: Symbolic expressions
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 9:26 AM

Christopher Creutzig

Re: Symbolic expressions

On 16.02.13 15:06, Shishir Jaiswal wrote:
> I need to define a positive symbolic expression say 'n'.
> I am using 'sym' or 'syms' (for multiple symbols). In one machine (PC) it is working fine but in another following error is coming:

Just a quick note: The difference between sym and syms is not whether
you want a single or multiple symbols. It is true that syms can create
multiple symbols at the same time, but the primary difference is that
syms assigns the symbolic variable to the name given:

>> sym x

ans =

>> whos
Name Size Bytes Class Attributes

ans 1x1 112 sym

>> syms x
>> whos

Name Size Bytes Class Attributes

ans 1x1 112 sym
x 1x1 112 sym

Also, sym can handle expressions, while syms only defines variables and
abstract functions. Note that entering expressions into sym is not
really recommended, since the syntax is subtly different from MATLAB
expressions.

HTH,
Christopher