Topic: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica 9
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 11:31 PM

Albert Retey

Re: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica

Am 19.02.2013 07:09, schrieb Murray Eisenberg:
> This refers to Ingolf Dahl's palette SetFaceAndFont -- see:
>
> http://www.familydahl.se/mathematica/#SetFaceAndFont
>
> I've been using it for some years as the quickest way to apply various
> formatting to selected text. E.g., in a Text cell select a Mathematica
> name and click the palette's button that changes the font to Courier. Or
> select some text and change its font to Times Italic. Or change the
> background color for the selection to a light yellow.
>
> But with Mathematica 9 (or at least 9.0.1), clicking one of the
> palette's buttons now applies the effect to the entire cell -- not just
> to the selection.
>
> Has anybody else experienced this? What might be the reason for the
> change in behavior and how might it be fixed?

I think this is a bug/inconsistancy of version 9. The following
simplification shows the problem:

Button["Courier12",
SetOptions[NotebookSelection[InputNotebook[]], FontSlant -> "Plain",
FontFamily -> "Courier", FontWeight -> "Plain", FontSize -> 12],
Evaluator -> None
] // CreatePalette

pressing the button with a selection in another notebook behaves
different in version 9 to previous versions, and I think the
version-9-behavior is wrong. I don't have an idea how to fix this, though...

hth,

albert