Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 36   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

Robert Clark

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Mar 11, 8:55 pm, bob haller <hall...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 1:34 pm, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >  Now note that trillions to one odds are such that we would not expect
> > it to happen during the entire age of the Solar System.

> >   Bob Clark
>
> perhaps this area of space has more debris, or something unknown is
> distorting their orbits?

Here are some suggested physical phenomena that could cause periodic
cometary impacts that were proposed to explain the periodic
extinctions that have been observed in Earth's fossil record:

Extinction event.
Patterns in frequency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event#Patterns_in_frequency

It is notable that one of them suggests such an increase in comets
should be occurring geologically "soon":

CAMBRIDGE CONFERENCE DIGEST, 02/02/98
http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/cc020298.html

Another perhaps more benign explanation is a theory proposed in 2007
there should be an increase in the number of sun grazing comets the
next few years:

Kreutz Sungrazers
"Several members of the Kreutz family have become Great Comets,
occasionally visible near the Sun in the daytime sky. The most recent
of these was Comet Ikeya?Seki in 1965, which may have been one of the
brightest comets in the last millennium.[1] It has been suggested that
another cluster of bright Kreutz system comets may begin to arrive in
the inner Solar System in the next few years to decades.[2]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreutz_Sungrazers

This appears to have been validated:

"Suicide" Comet Storm Hits Sun?Bigger Sun-Kisser Coming?
Andrew Fazekas
for National Geographic News
Published January 17, 2011
[Quote]A recent storm of small comets that pelted the sun could herald
the coming a much bigger icy visitor, astronomers say.
Since its launch in 1995, NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory,
or SOHO, orbiter has captured pictures of 2,000 comets as they've
flown past the sun.
Most of these comets are so-called sungrazers, relatively tiny comets
whose orbits bring them so near the sun that they are often vaporized
within hours of discovery.
The sun-watching telescope usually picks up one sungrazer every few
days. But between December 13 and 22, SOHO saw more than two dozen
sungrazers appear and disintegrate.
Seeing "25 comets in just ten days, that's unprecedented," Karl
Battams, of the United States Naval Research Laboratory in Washington,
D.C., said in a statement. "It was crazy!"
According to Battams and colleagues, the comet swarm could be
forerunner fragments from a much larger parent comet that may be
headed along a similar path. And such a large icy body coming so near
the sun would result in a spectacular sky show.[/quote]
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/01/110117-comets-storm-sun-soho-nasa-sungrazing-science-space/

It's interesting this prediction of the SOHO scientists appears to be
confirmed by the discovery of the sungrazing Comet ISON in September,
2012, expected to be one of the brightest comets in history

In any case an increase of sun grazers could also correspond to an
increase in close flybys of comets by the terrestrial planets. A
problem though is this increase could itself be due to a disruption of
the comets in the Oort Cloud.

Bob Clark

Date Subject Author
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Bernier
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Richard Tobin
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/27/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Davoud
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/9/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/7/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
3/15/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/22/13