Topic: ComplexExpand off by a factor of (-1)?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 7:01 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: ComplexExpand off by a factor of (-1)?

Hint: in your expression, replace 2*I by 2*k and you'll see why Mathematica gave you the correct value, i.e., exactly what you asked for!
On Feb 22, 2013, at 1:05 AM, charles.ces@gmail.com wrote:

> Would someone be able to help me understand why when I enter the expression:
>
> ComplexExpand[(E^(I*y) - E^(-I*y))/2*I] I get a result of -Sin[y] instead of Sin[y]?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Charles S.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305