Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Waldek Hebisch schrieb:

> clicliclic@freenet.de wrote:

> > It has occured to me that Waldek should post the FriCAS results for the
> > two cases he could not verify by differentiation. Perhaps they are
> > correct, perhaps not. I doubt that results with mixed branches should be
> > counted as successes: numerical evaluation would fail even on FriCAS, I
> > suppose.
> >

> (1) -> integrate((asin(x/a)*asin(x/a)^(1/2))/((-1*x^2+a^2)^(1/2)), x)
>
> +-------------------+
> x 2 | x
> 2atan(------------) |2atan(------------)
> +---------+ | +---------+
> | 2 2 | | 2 2
> \|- x + a \| \|- x + a
> (1) ------------------------------------------
> +-+
> 5\|2
> Type: Union(Expression(Integer),...)
> (2) -> integrate(acos((x/(x+1))^(1/2)), x)
>
> +-----+
> 1 | x +-----+
> (2) (x + 1)atan(----------------) + |----- \|x + 1
> +-----+ \|x + 1
> | x +-----+
> |----- \|x + 1
> \|x + 1
> Type: Union(Expression(Integer),...)

These are correct antiderivatives for integrands

INT(ATAN(x/SQRT(a^2 - x^2))^(3/2)/SQRT(a^2 - x^2), x) =
2/5*ATAN(x/SQRT(a^2 - x^2))^(5/2)

INT(ATAN(1/(SQRT(x/(x+1))*SQRT(x+1))), x) =
(x+1)*ATAN(1/(SQRT(x/(x+1))*SQRT(x+1))) + SQRT(x/(x+1))*SQRT(x+1)

that differ from the original ones in the omission of piecewise constant
prefactors. I guess such a rewriting of integrands in FriCAS could take
place as a preparatory step or, perhaps more likely, implicitly during
their passage through the Risch mill.

With respect to the original integrands, the first antiderivative holds
for -pi/2 < arg(a) <= pi/2 and fails for all other parameters, while the
second one fails for real x < -1 and holds everywhere else.

ch. ex's Der. Fri. Mpl MMA etc. etc.
6.10 1.20 17 ...
1 81 78 78 80 ??
2 90 - - - -
3 14 - - - -
4 132 - - - -
5 120 - - - -
6 26 - - - -
7 11 - - - -
8 59 - - - -
100% 96.3% 96.3% 98.8% ????%

Accordingly, the Winner so far is .............. Maple!

Martin.

PS: I noticed that the evaluation of the original first integral may
also be written without a piecewise constant in the antiderivative:

INT(ASIN(x/a)^(3/2)/SQRT(a^2 - x^2), x) =
2/5*ASIN(x/a)^(3/2)*ATAN(x/SQRT(a^2 - x^2))

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de
Waldek Hebisch